It’s slow but steady progress on the game front. I’ve now got a design which I’m confident in, which admittedly has happened before, but I think it’s truly solid this time.
I’ve also been making some great progress on the coding front. I’m not a morning person in the slightest, but I’ve started getting up at around 6 AM, which allows me roughly two hours in the morning to work on the game while I’m fresh. It’s actually made mornings a lot more pleasant for me, as I have something to look forward to every day (making progress on the game!), and it makes me feel like if I do nothing else that day, at least I’ve done a small part of working towards completing this game and thus completing one of my major life goals. Making this change has been one of the best things I’ve decided on in a good while.
I’ve recently discovered a design document from one of the early iterations of the game, and it had a cool little gem in it – I had written down the day that I started work on It Always Ends In Nuclear War. 11/24/12. It’s been very on and off work, to be honest, and what I’ve wanted to do with the project has changed drastically over time, but it’s cool to know how long I’ve been at it.
I’ve started some other small projects from time to time while working on this game, and usually what I’ve done is either start those projects from scratch, or try and take some code from It Always End In Nuclear War to use as a base. This has been a pain, though. A few weeks ago I decided to abstract out the core, reusable bits of It Always Ends In Nuclear War into a framework which I can use for other C++ programming projects. This was a surprising amount of work, but it’s done now, and I’m extremely happy about it. It not only cleans up the code for It Always Ends In Nuclear War, but it gives me a base to work from for other projects.
Finally, I spent a little time last night and this morning on getting unit range to work. Basically, if a unit enters the range of another unit, the game now knows about it. This is the first step towards getting a good working combat system. The screenshots below shows this, with the numbers below each unit being an identifier for units which are in range. The first screenshot is missing a small edge case so it isn’t entirely accurate, second screenshot has it working 100%.
Copyright © - Daniel J. Petersen